Sick of getting your mom the same old bouquet of flowers or tired card for Mother's Day? Switch up your Mother's Day tradition by giving your mom the gift that keeps on giving — a healthy, active life. And, really, how many times has your mom said that what she really wants for Mother's Day is just more time with you? These active Mother's Day ideas are the best of both worlds when it comes to gifts for mom.
Active Mother's Day Ideas
1. Get your garden on. Instead of just giving her a flower pot or hanging basket, buy a variety of veggie plants, herbs, potting soil and gear to get your garden on. Then schedule a day with your mom to plant that garden. An hour of general gardening burns about 300 calories an hour for a 150-pound female!
2. Take a golf or tennis lesson. Spring is the perfect time to get outside and learn a new skill. Book a golf or tennis lesson with a local professional and get to swinging! You'll not only burn calories, you'll also bond while learning a new sport together.
3. Sign up for a 5K (and start training for it). While there are a number of Mother's Day 5Ks scheduled around the country for Sunday, it's probably too late to spring a 5K on your mom. (Unless she's already super fit or already runs, in which case, what are you waiting for? Sign up!) But that doesn't mean you can't plan to do one in the future. Sign up for a race about three months out, and start training with one of these plans!
4. Try a new class at the gym. Skip the heavy brunch and hit up your (or her) health club instead. Make a date to try that new spin class or go to Zumba together. No matter what class you choose, have fun burning those calories and strengthening that heart!
5. Cook a healthy meal together. If your family is like most, your holidays are probably centered around food. But that doesn't mean it can't be healthy! Plan a whole BBQ where you all prepare healthy foods together. While cooking may not be a workout, it's certainly more active then standing around eating. And when you get to choose what you're making? You get to make sure everyone is eating nutritious food!